Trail Blazers won their first game in the 2013-14 season on the road against Denver Nuggets. If you want to see a full review by Randy Ulatowski, click here.
- After the loss to Phoenix Suns, the Trail Blazers made better job on the defensive end. Denver shot only 36% from the field. Phoenix shot nearly 52%…
- Fouling Nuggets’ players paid off for Portland. Denver had 34 attempts from the foul line, but made only 20 of them (59%).
- Portland shot amazingly from beyond the arc – they made 14 shots out of 22 tries. That’s 64%.
- Both teams were active on the board, each team had 55 rebounds. Well, that’s not a big number if we are considering that 203 shots were taken.
- Portland finished with 25 assists and just 7 turnovers. Denver had just 14 assists and only 4 turnovers.
- Denver’s biggest lead was at the start of the game, when they led 4:0. Portland’s biggest lead was 26.
- Nuggets’ bench: 55 points, 31 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 turnovers in 122 minutes of play.
- Blazers’ bench: 29 points, 20 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 turnovers in 75 minutes of action.
- The Trail Blazers won at Pepsi Center for the first time since December 2007. They ended nine-game losing streak in Mile-High City with this victory.
- As Blazers were unstoppable from the 3-point line, they made just 37% of their attempts inside.
- Somebody has stepped up for Blazers every quater. In the first quarter it was Nicolas Batum (15 points), in the second quarter it was Damian Lillard (13 points), in the third quarter it was Wesley Matthews (14 points) and in the last quarter it was LaMarcus Aldridge (9 points).
- JJ Hickson, who played for Rip City last season, was highly motivated against his former team. He made only 2 shots out of 13, he got rejected 3 times and his defense was poor.
34 MIN, 18 PTS, 6-13 FG, 3-4 3P, 3-3 FT, 4 REB, 7 AST, 1 TO, +18 – B+
Dame wasn’t forcing himself to shoot so much like he did against Suns. He was dead-eye from outside once again. He had great passes and he turned the ball over only once. Sometimes he had problem with defending smaller and quicker guys like Ty Lawson or Nate Robinson. At the end, it was fair performance by Damian.
36 MIN, 21 PTS, 7-13 FG, 4-4 3P, 3-3 FT, 12 REB, 3 AST, 1 TO, +18 — A+
Wesley had great game. His shot was effective, he was perfect from the 3-point line. He grabbed his career-high 12 rebounds. His “D” was here as always. Great game for Wes.
35 MIN, 21 PTS, 8-14 FG, 5-8 3P, 5 REB, 3 AST, 2 TO, +15 — A
Nic was the monster in the first quarter, going with 15 points. His all-around game had negative impact on Denver and Batum enjoyed himself.
36 MIN, 25 PTS, 12-26 FG, 1-4 FT, 9 REB, 4 AST, 1 TO, +20 — A
Aldridge had another strong night offensively, even though he made just one free throw and his field goal percentage went under 50%. He was also playing nicely on the defensive end as Nuggets’ bigs were unable to do any damage.
23 MIN, 2 PTS, 1-5 FG, 5 REB, 2 BLK, 5 PF, +5 — B-
Robin played really good defense, but he also made a lot of fouls, which sidelined him for more time than Terry Stotts wanted. On offense, he was harmless.
26 MIN, 11 PTS, 5-13 FG, 0-3 3P, 1-1 FT, 3 AST, 1 TO — C
Mo was still forcing his shot, but he was forcing tempo of the game too. He shot poorly 39%. His defense wasn’t good at all, but Robinson and Lawson are athletic freaks (but what about Andre Miller?). So-so performance against Denver.
22 MIN, 5 PTS, 1-7 FG, 3-4 FT, 7 REB, 3 AST, 1 TO, +12 — B-
After sidelining Robin Lopez due to foul troubles, Freeland had to step up. And he did it! Freeland was surprisingly good on defense and he kept rebounding battle balanced. Joel couldn’t hit the basket, but on the other side, he had 4 offensive boards and 3 assists.
12 MIN, 2 PTS, 1-6 FG, 5 REB, -7 — D+
Former fifth selection in the draft had tough times against Nuggets. He couldn’t make his shots go in. T-Rob rebounded well and brought the energy, but that’s all. Robinson’s defense was questionable at best.
11 MIN, 3-4 FG, 2-3 3P, 5 REB, -7 – B
Dorrell played just 11 minutes, but he made big impact. Eight points in 11 minutes is pretty good, same with five rebounds. And… have you seen that putback dunk?
Garbage time (1:22)
Crabbe – FG 0/1
Will Barton – FG 0/1
Claver – Agent Zero
Leonard – 55 rebounds per 36 minutes